Cinnamon Applesauce Ornaments fill your tree with a festive scent. They make a lasting personal gift and look lovely on wrapped presents. Crafting ornaments with this easy recipe is also a great family project. Our kids really enjoy the hands-on rolling, pressing, and cutting. When working with children, be sure to remind them that the dough and ornaments are NOT for eating.
Cinnamon Scented Ornaments (For Crafting only. NOT EDIBLE)
- 1 cup applesauce (inexpensive store brands work well)
- 1 ¼ cup Ground Cinnamon (inexpensive cinnamon available at Wal-Mart); plus cinnamon for dusting
- 2 T Elmer’s Glue-All
1. Mix applesauce and cinnamon.
2. Add glue and mix until completely blended. Work it with your hands into a ball.
3. Let the dough rest for ½ hour.
4. Liberally dust your work surface with cinnamon.
5. Knead the rested dough a few times before rolling out. If needed, add a few drops of water.
6. Dust the dough ball with cinnamon so it won’t stick to the rolling pin. Roll the dough out to 8 mm (3/8”) using Dough Thickness Guides.
7. Dust the springerle mold with cinnamon. Press mold into the dough. Lift mold straight up to remove.
8. Use a cookie cutter or knife to cut out as desired. Lift with a spatula and place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
9. As you re-roll the dough scraps, the dough will become drier as it absorbs more cinnamon. Knead a few drops of water as needed to keep the dough workable.
10. Each time you press another ornament, remember to dust your work surface and the mold.
11. Use a straw to make a hole for ribbon to hang the ornament.
12. Carefully brush any extra cinnamon off your ornament with a pastry brush; it will not come off once the ornaments are dried.
13. When you are done working, clean your molds and work surface before the dough dries.
14. To dry the ornaments, bake for 3 hours at 200 degrees F. Larger ornaments may require a bit more time to dry once they come out of the oven; they will air dry on the counter.
15. Paint or finish as desired; add ribbon to hang.
Yield: Varies depending on your ornament size. One batch makes fifteen 2” ornaments.
Storage: To preserve the scent for years to come, store in a Ziplock bag with your other Christmas ornaments.